Board Meeting Minutes, 11-12-2016

printprintemailemail
Date: 
Dec 23 2016
Author: 
by Rachel Stones, secretary

ISPC Board Meeting Minutes, November 12, 2016, 12:30 PM

 PNHP offices, 29 E. Madison, Suite 1412, Chicago, IL 60602

Date:

November 12, 2016

Author:

Rachel Stones - Secretary

Agenda:

1. Roll Call

·      Bill Bianchi (Treasurer)

·      Pam Gronemeyer (Vice President)

·      Mark Johnson

·      David Meimers

·      Sonja Rotenberg

·      Anne Scheetz (public participation)

·      Rachel Stones (Secretary)

·      Philip Verhoef (President)

2. Approval of minutes from Sept 2016

·      Minutes approved

3. Treasurer’s report

·      There was little activity the past two months (Sept and Oct)

·      Donations

o   Mainly from recurring donations

o   Cash received at NAACP

o   T-shirts sales

·      Expenses

o   ColoradoCare

o   Rest for website maintenance and internet

4. Discussion on board communications with members (Anne Scheetz)

·      Anne re: communications between the Board and the rest of the membership:

o   question will have to be addressed periodically as our membership and activities change

o   Communication will always be challenging since there is tension between people being well-informed on the one hand and receiving too many emails on the other hand

·      Questions:

o   How can we be informed if there are last-minute changes to the Board meeting agenda?

§  Bylaws state that an agenda should be posted 72 hours before meeting

§  We typically haven’t had last minute changes

§  In the future, Phil will send an email out to membership list saying agenda is posted

§  If there is a last minute change to the agenda after it posts to the website then Phil will send something out

§  Agenda will stand by Friday before the meeting and no additional changes will be made

o   How can we be informed of what happens at Board meetings before minutes are approved at the next meeting and then posted on the website?

§  We will send out preliminary minutes to the board and approved the minutes by email. If board approves we will post on the web. They will be formally approved at the following meeting.

o   How should non-director ISPC members request additions to the agenda; how long before a meeting should they do this; how will they be informed whether or not their request is approved? I make the assumption that if members make such requests as individuals or as representatives of committees or other groups, at least one person will attend in person or by conference call.

§  Sonja will send out an email to the members list 10 days before meetings that will make everyone aware that there’s a meeting and this email will include instructions on how to request something to be added to the agenda and instructions how to call in

o   How should ISPC members from outside Chicago, or who are otherwise unable to attend a meeting in person, make arrangements to attend by conference call?

§  Instructions will be included in Sonja’s email she sends out before the meeting (see above)

o   How should non-director ISPC members make suggestions or requests for communications to the large list, and how will they be informed whether or not their request is approved?

§  Should go to ISPC board gmail

·      Anne would also like to recommend that ISPC members who think they might want to run for the Board should attend a minimum of one meeting before they make that decision

·      Sonja will make all board directors managers of the google group so any of them can send an email out to the members google group

·      Bill: we need a general email that explains different levels of participation

·      Anne: we could try to find out from members what would lead them to be more involved

5. Update on single payer study (Bill B)

·      Preliminary outline has been created and discussed

·      Currently 3 people interested in participating

·      Bill has reached out to three others – waiting to hear back

·      Pam will try to reach out to other small business owners

6. Discussion of Everybody INstitute plans

·      Phil will send an email out to supporters and members to announce when we are planning and see if anyone wants to participate

·      Phil will set up a meeting by early December to divide up everything that needs to be done

·      Will be important to hire administrative assistant soon

7. Review of process for funding requests (Phil to provide a policy to review and discuss)

·      Phil will refine the policy and send it out to the discussion group for review and discussion with broader ISPC community and see if anyone has any ideas

8. Discussion of what next in the face of this presidential election.

·      Members and larger community should be offered to have input into what we say

·      Message we have: ACA didn’t solve our health care problem, repealing will not solve our health care problem

·      We can reiterate our message and send something out to members

·      Anne will draft a statement to circulate

9.  Announcements

·      TPP is dead

·      Phil has given several grand rounds in the last several months

Dates for the rest of the year

·      Jan 21: 12:30-2:30PM

·      Mar 11: 12:30-2:30PM

·      May 13: 12:30-2:30PM

·      June 17 or 24: all members meeting.

Action Items

·      Sonja:

o   make all board directors managers of the google group so any of them can send an email out to the members google group

o   will send out an email to the members list a week before meetings that will make everyone aware that there’s a meeting and this email will include instructions on how to request something to be added to the agenda and instructions how to call in

·      Phil:

o   in the future will send an email out to membership list saying agenda is posted

o   will send an email out to supporters and members to announce when we are planning and see if anyone wants to participate

o   will set up a meeting by early December to divide up everything that needs to be done

o   will send out a policy to the discussion group for review and discussion with broader ISPC community and see if anyone has any ideas

·      Pam:

o   reach out to other small business owners who might be interested in being involved in the single payer study

·      Anne:

o   will draft a statement to circulate

Post about us!