Resources on health and healthcare in Illinois
Note: Most of these are not single-payer resources. They are sources of informaiton on the current state of health, health care, and health policy in Illinois--background for our work. Resources specifically dealing with single-payer are marked with an *.
Childrens' health and health care
Report from Chicago Teachers Union about nursing services in Chicago Public Schools here.
- State Health Policy and Medicaid (includes various reports)
- 2015 State Health System Data Center (Illinois); additional data, maps, and explanations here.
- Illinois Medicaid fact sheet, February 2017 here.
- State Scorecard on Health System Performance, 2017 here; Illinois page here.
Community Behavioral Healthcare Association of Illinois (CBHA)
* Economics of single-payer for US and Illinois: link to video of presentation by Professor Gerald Friedman here.
Get Covered Illinois (health insurance marketplace)
Health and Medicine Policy Research Group (HMPRG)
Description of programs and projects here.
Illinois Department of Healthcare and Family Services (HFS)
2014 Net Patient Revenue for Chicago's 5 largest hospitals: Crain's (chart includes other data as well)
Illinois hospital closures by year here.
Illinois Department of Human Services (DHS)
Illinois Department of Insurance (DOI)
Complaints about health insurance, medical bill, etc., as recommended by Consumer Reports, June 2015 (note that Consumer Reports endorses the ACA and does not support single-payer):
- T: 1-866-445-5364
The website editors welcome stories about your problems with access to health care and related financial problems. Please send your story to Editor@ilsinglepayer.org. No story will be published without permission, and no names will be published without permission.
Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH)
- Center for Rural Health here.
- Final report of Adequate Health Care Task Force, 2007
- Health professional shortage areas here. Includes links to maps of primary care, dental care, and mental health care shortage areas. Senator Richard Durbin stated in a November 21 speech on the floor of the US Senate the 81 of Illinois' 83 rural counties is a designated health professional shortage area.
- Local health department alphabetical listing here.
- Trauma centers by region here map (from American Trauma Society) here.
- Illinois trauma center recommendations 2015 here.
Illinois Framework for Healthcare and Human Services
Coordination of multiple programs (including the Health Insurance Marketplace) through seven state agencies.
Illinois General Assembly Legislative Committees: all House committees; all Senate committees
House Long-Term Care Subcommittee
Senate Public Health Committee
Illinois Hospital Association
- Illinois Medicaid Redetermination Project here (2013).
- Cost-sharing requirements here.
- Statistics on enrollees in Illinois Medicaid,including by legislative district, 2015, here.
- Report from Kaiser Family Foundation on 2015-16 changes to Medicaid in all 50 states with some state-specific data, here.
- Medicaid and Medicaid managed care numbers numbers, Kaiser Family Foundation, here.
- February 2017 fact sheet from the Commonwealth Fund here.
Illinois Primary Health Care Association (IPHCA)
Follow menu link to find Federally Qualified Health Centers (FQHCs) throughout Illinois. More than 50 Illinois counties do not have any FQHCs; map here.
Illinois Rural Health Association (IRHA)
Joint Center for Political and Economic Studies report
Kaiser Family Foundation State Health Facts for Illinois
Long term care
HMPRG Center for Long-Term Care Reform
- Illinois Mental Health 2013-2018 Strategic Plan
- NAMI Chicago (www.namichicago.com) white paper on mental health services in Illinois, May 2015.
- See also Illinois Department of Human Services
- August 2015 report from Illinois Department of Public Health, "Mental Health Hospitalizations Among Women of Reproductive Age"
- Report of state-by-state data on serious thoughts of suicide amone young adults 2103 to 2014.
- Illinois psychiatry beds 2010 and 2016, from Pew Charitable Trust, here.
Migrant farm workers
Military and veterans
The Soldiers Project Chicago (mental and other health care not covered by VA; for active duty, AWOL, and veteran personnel and their families)
Search on website for "veterans' health care" for current articles
Occupational Safety and Health
Illinois Workers' Compensation Commission here.
The Burden of Oral Disease in Chicago; Fall 2011; by the Chicago Community Oral Health Forum.
Health Smiles Health Growth 2013-2014 report released May 2015, here; assessed oral health and body mass index of Illinois third graders.
Illinois Department of Public Health Division of Oral Health.
Illinoiis Oral Health Plan II (IFLOSS)
See "Addressing Rural Health Disparities in Illinois" under "Rural health and health care."
Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act Implementation
Health Management Associates report, "Illinois Exchange Operational and Needs Assessment," 126 pages, 2011, here.
People with Disabilities
State Ombudsman program explained, with phone numbers (includes seniors).
Illinois Network of Centers for Independent Living (INCIL)
Medigap policies for people under age 65, from the Illinois Department of Insurance here. (Laws on availability and cost vary by state.)
2016 state rankings of inclusion of people wth intellectual and development disabilities here, from United Cerebral Palsy.
Public health, other
- Search on website for "public health" for current articles
- Chicago Physicians for Social Responsibility (Chicago PSR)
- Collaborative for Health Equity (CHE) Cook County
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention 2015 Sexually Transmitted Diseases Surveillance, including some data by state and by metro region, here.
- Illinois climate change health threats, from the Natural Resources Defense Council
- United Health Foundation report America's Health Rankings: Illinois, 2015.
- Article on erosion of economic safety net here.
- Report on Illinois poverty from Social Impact Research Center: excerpts and link (January 2015)
- Racism's Toll: Report on Illinois Poverty; from Social Impact Research Center, February 2016; includes county level data including uninsurance; key findings here.
- Social determinants of health: US poverty and certain public benefits by state here, 2016.
- Estimated uninsured in Illinois after ACA implementation
- From ofice of Senator Dick Durbin, an early 2017 report on the impact of the American Health Care Act
Reproductive health care
Report on access to abortion in Cook County and Illinois, published by the Chicago Abortion Fund (CAF) and American Civil Liberties Union. CAF reported on June 27, 2015, that the Cook County Board of Commissioners had passed an Abortion Access Resolution.
Rural health and health care
- See also under Department of Public Health, Illinois Rural Health Association, Migrant farm workers
- Critical Access Hospitals (CAH) from Centers for Medicare and Medicaid
- Illinois Critical Access Hospital Network (ICAHN)
- The National Farmers' Union, which is on record as supporting single-payer, has an office in Altamont, Illinois.
- Report "Addressing Rural Health Disparities in Illinois" from University of Illinois School of Public Health 2006.
Sinai Urban Health Institute (SUHI)
- Mission To serve as a leading urban health research institute for eliminating health disparities and working towards health equity
- Publishes numerous studies on health disparities
State report on Medicare, Medicaid, and social security
Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid Work for Illinois: one of 50 state reports issued 2012 by Strengthen Social Security. Also available here in Spanish.